Join us for our social evenings! -2015
Meet your fellow hikers and relax after a great day on the trails.
Most of the evening presentations begin at 7:00 pm and last an hour. Below is the tentative 2015 program of evening activities. More information to follow.
Friday, Sept. 11 – Opening Ceremonies, St. John’s Hall , 7 pm.
Description: A special evening is being organized to help the festival get off to a great start. There will be a slideshow of last year’s festival (2014), a meet and greet with food, and updates on the 2015 Festival.
Saturday, Sept. 12 – West Highland Way, Scotland, 7 pm
Scotland’s premiere long distance hike, 154 km, 96 miles, West Highland Way was opened in 1980, the first officially designated long distance footpath in Scotland. WHW attracts over 85,000 hikers to the path each year and over 30,000 complete the entire route. Presenter : Elaine Wallace will talk about her trip in May 2015 where she completed the entire route of West Highland Way.
Sunday, Sept. 13th – St. Paul Island Museum and Lighthouse, Dingwall, 7 pm.
Description – On August 1, 2015, St. Paul Island Lighthouse, celebrated its 100th Anniversary of the lighthouse with a big birthday party. This lighthouse is also Canada’s 1st Heritage Lighthouse. Enjoy a guided tour of this interesting Museum and Lighthouse.
Monday, Sept. 14th – Camino de Santiago, St. John’s Hall, 7 pm.
Description – Long time hiker, Dennis Gillis will share his story and trip of doing the pilgrim hike of Camino De Santiago in Spain this past year.
Tuesday, Sept. 15th – Enjoy Fiddle Music at Doryman Pub & Grill, Cheticamp, 7 pm.
Wednesday, Sept. 16th – Night Off
Thursday, Sept. 17th – White Point Sunset Hike, 5:30 pm.
Friday, Sept. 18th – Social Evening , Legion, Ingonish, 7:30 -9:30 pm.
Entertainment tonight beginning at 7:30 pm. Enjoy a relaxing evening with your new and old hiker friends.
Saturday, Sept. 19 – Closing Ceremonies, St. John’s Hall, 7:30 pm.
Description – A special evening to highlight and thank hikers, sponsors & partners, and volunteers of 2015 Hike the Highlands Festival. Presentation of the Hiker Distance Awards, Door prizes and the 2015 Closing Show.
Other Activities to do in the area:
1) Whale watching in Ingonish, Neil’s Harbour, Bay St. Lawrence, Pleasant Bay and Cheticamp. The Whale Interpretative Centre in Pleasant Bay is open 9-5 each day.
2) Visit Museums – North Highlands Community Museum (9-5 each day), Cape North, St. Paul’s Lighthouse Museum, Dingwall (10-6 pm), and Les Trois Pignons in Cheticamp,
3) Golf – Highlands Links in Ingonish Beach or Le Portage in Cheticamp
4) Enjoy the beaches at Ingonish Beach, Black Brook, North Bay, Neil’s Harbour, Cabot Landing Beach, Pleasant Bay & Cheticamp.
5) Kayaking – rent or take tours
6) Visit our artisans studios & craft shops in our communities
7) Enjoy evening entertainment in Ingonish & Cheticamp.