Join us for our social evenings! -2014
Meet your fellow hikers and relax after a great day on the trails.
Evening presentations begin at 7:00 pm and last an hour. Below is the tentative 2014 program of evening activities. More information to follow.
Friday, Sept. 12 – Opening Ceremonies, St. John’s Hall , 7 pm.
Description: A special evening is being organized to help the festival get off to a great start. There will be a slideshow of the best photos from the Through the Lens Photography Workshop, and the 2013 Closing Show, a meet and greet with food, and updates on the 2014 Festival.
Saturday, Sept. 13 – Belize and Guatemala Hikes Plus Other Ramblings
Hiking amongst the Mian ruins and rain forests of Belize and Guatemala. Hiking Inverness’s Celtic Shores from the Canso Causeway to Inverness in five days. Hiking Newfoundland’s Bay of Islands… Presenters : Tim & Paula Reynolds
Sunday, Sept. 14th – Grass in the Highlands? The latest chapter in the moose saga. , St. John’s Hall, 7 pm.
Description – Matthew Smith, Park Ecologist at Cape Breton Highlands National Park will discuss the how budworm and moose have transformed 10 to 15% of the park from forest to grassy meadows. Why did this happen and what can Parks Canada do to restore balance to the Boreal Forest?
Monday, Sept. 15th – Hiking in Wales, St. John’s Hall, 7 pm.
Description – A look at some of the long distance hikes, and National Parks in Wales as well the Wales Coastal Path. A slideshow of the Isle of Anglesey Coastal Path – 128 miles in Northern Wales will be shown. Presenter – Tom Wilson
Tuesday, Sept. 16th – Enjoy Fiddle Music at Doryman Pub & Grill, Cheticamp, 7 pm.
Wednesday, Sept. 17th – Night Off
Thursday, Sept. 18th – Sunset Hike on Skyline, 5:30 pm.
Friday, Sept. 19th – Social Evening , Legion, Ingonish, 7 pm.
Entertainment tonight beginning at 7 pm. Enjoy a relaxing evening with your new and old hiker friends.
Saturday, Sept. 20 – Closing Supper & Ceremonies, St. John’s Hall, 5:30 pm.
Description – Supper begins at 5:30 pm. at St. John’s Hall. Closing ceremonies follows at 6:30 pm or so next door at Royal Canadian Legion . A special evening to highlight and thank hikers, sponsors & partners, and volunteers of 2014 Hike the Highlands Festival. Presentation of the Hiker Distance Awards, Door prizes and the 2014 Closing Show.
Other Activities to do in the area:
1) Whale watching in Ingonish, Neil’s Harbour, Bay St. Lawrence, Pleasant Bay and Cheticamp. The Whale Interpretative Centre in Pleasant Bay is open 9-5 each day.
2) Visit Museums – North Highlands Community Museum, Cape North, St. Paul’s Lighthouse Museum, Dingwall, and Les Trois Pignons in Cheticamp,
3) Golf – Highlands Links in Ingonish Beach or Le Portage in Cheticamp
4) Enjoy the beaches at Ingonish Beach, Black Brook, North Bay, Neil’s Harbour, Cabot Landing Beach, Pleasant Bay & Cheticamp.
5) Kayaking – rent or take tours
6) Visit our artisans studios & craft shops in our communities
7) Enjoy evening entertainment in Ingonish & Cheticamp.